Gardendoctor.org

Are Foxgloves Poisonous to Touch?

Gardendoctor.org

Digitalis

More commonly known as Foxgloves, their bell-shaped flower is usually seen as bright pink but they can also be white or purple too!

Gardendoctor.org

Foxgloves have a reputation for being dangerous - and it's because of their toxins.

This plant's most notable toxin is...

Gardendoctor.org

Refined into a powerful cardiac medicine, digitalin can be used to help treat heart conditions and stop heart arrhythmias (irregular heartbeat).

Digitalin!

Gardendoctor.org

But the question that we get asked regularly remains...

Are Foxgloves Poisonous to Touch?

Gardendoctor.org

 Many people experience severe allergic reactions and skin irritation.

Yes, foxgloves are poisonous to touch!

Gardendoctor.org

and other symptoms that require immediate medical attention.

Anaphylaxis can lead to difficulty breathing

Gardendoctor.org

For those with no allergies, there still remains a risk of toxins being transferred into the body through open wounds, or if you touch your eyes and mouth.

Gardendoctor.org

Wash your hands so you do not get any of the toxins into places you don't want them.

What to do if you have Touched Foxgloves?

Gardendoctor.org

Use warm soapy water to remove those unwanted toxins and keep your hands clean.

Gardendoctor.org

Better still, only handle foxgloves when wearing gloves!

Gardendoctor.org

To find out more about foxgloves, read our full article